canada Federal Skilled Trades Program

The Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program is specially made  for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

Note that as of January 1, 2015, the Canada Federal Skilled Worker Program  also known as “FSWP” was  became part of Express Entry.

federal skilled trades program requirements

The federal skilled trades program requirements for applicant are listed below and can serve to guide you In order to be eligible.

  • Have valid job offers of employment from up to two employers in Canada for a total period of at least 1 year  OR a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body
  • meet the required language levels for each language ability and Provide proof of basic language proficiency from a designated language testing organization.
  • You should atleast have an experience of 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply.

                NOTE: your work experience must be for paid work for it to count.

  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification

YOU MAY READ :canada immigration process

Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program work experience

Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

The major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If you don’t show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, your application won’t be granted.

Note, when determining the most appropriate NOC for yourself, consider that you must have performed the actions of the lead statement, and a substantial number of the main duties listed in the description of the skilled trade occupation, as set out in the NOC. Again, you must have performed these duties after becoming qualified to independently practice that occupation.

Find the NOC code, title and skill type or level for your job.

The work experience only counts after you qualified to independently practice the occupation.

Federal Skilled Trades Program Education Experience

you will be surprise to know there is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. But, if you having your educational certificate , it will help to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool and you can get points for a completed educational credential.

Federal Skilled Trades Program Language requirements

For you to apply for federal skilled trades program, You must meet the minimum level of

  • CLB 5 (English) or NCLC 5 (French) for speaking and listening, and
  • CLB 4 (English) or NCLC 4 (French) for reading and writing.

You must prove your language skills by taking a third-party language test from an agency approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

When creating your Express Entry profile, you must fill in all the information related to the language test you have taken for your first and, if applicable, second official languages.

Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. They must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

This rule applies to all applicants who want to be considered under the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

Proof of funds

Its compulsory to know that for canada Federal Skilled Trades Program you must have proofs of having enough money for you and your family to stay in canada unless you are currently able to legally work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada.

Where you can live in Canada for Federal Skilled Trades.

You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information.

When you fill out your profile,  you  will be asked where you plan to live in Canada. You don’t have to settle in that province or territory.

If you’re a Provincial Nominee, you must settle in the province or territory that nominated you.

YOU MAY READ : Apply for express entry federal skilled worker in Canada

Get assessed by the province or territory

You are to go to the province or territory to be assessed for your trade. You may also need an employer in Canada to give you experience and training.

To learn more about getting assessed, you should go to the website of the body that governs trades for the province/territory where you would like to live and work. The process is different, depending on where you want to go.

Each website has more details about certificates of qualification to work in that province or territory in a specific skilled trade, and what you have to do to get one.

If your trade is not regulated by a province or territory, it may be federally regulated (for example, airplane mechanic). You can find out who regulates your trade by visiting the website of the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials.

How to apply for Federal Skilled Trades Program


Leave a Comment