In this post, we will be discussing about How to Become a Citizen of Canada, Canadian citizenship requirements, how to apply for citizenship in Canada, citizenship certificate Canada, Canda citizenship certificate, Canadian Citizenship Eligibility Criteria.
If you’ve lived in Canada for a while and want to discover How to Become a Citizen of Canada, you’ll need to first determine whether you’re qualified to apply for citizenship in Canada.
There are many criteria that determine whether you are qualified to apply for Canadian citizenship. You must also understand how the Canadian citizenship application process works, as well as what documents you will need and how to apply.
Table of Contents
Canada Permanent Residency
Regardless of your age, if you’re applying to be a citizen of Canada, you must have Canada Permanent Residency.
This means you must not:
be under investigation for purposes of immigration or fraud
be asked to leave Canada by Canadian officials (removal order)
have unmet conditions pertaining to your PR status, such as medical screening
Canadian Citizenship Requirements
Most applicants must meet certain Canadian Citizenship Requirements in order to become a citizen of Canada such as :
- be a permanent resident who has spent at least three of the previous five years in Canada (1,095 days).
- you must have submitted your taxes
- prove your language skills in English or French language .
Furthermore, the following factors may affect your Canadian citizenship eligibility:
- You have outstanding terms and conditions on your permanent resident status
- You’ve been given an order to depart Canada.
- Due to misrepresentation, you have been denied Canadian citizenship.
- Your citizenship in Canada has been revoked.
How do i check Canada citizenship eligibility ?
you can check if you are eligible to apply to become a Canada citizen by answering few questions here
How to apply for citizenship in Canada
You can apply for citizenship in Canada online or on paper. You can apply on paper only if you’re not eligible to apply online. Don’t try to apply for citizenship in Canada both ways.
The fees are the same to apply online or on paper:
- Adult (18 or older): $630
- Minor (under 18): $100
No matter how you apply, you can pay your fees online and include the receipts in your application
Canada citizenship test
The Canada citizenship test
- is in English or French
- is 30 minutes long
- has 20 questions that are either
- multiple choice, or
- true or false
You need to get at least 15 out of 20 questions right to pass the test.
You can only take the test after you receive invitation from Canada government.
If you gave an email address when you want to apply for citizenship in Canada, you will be emailed or your representative an invitation by email.
- The test invitation letter will be a PDF file attached to the invitation email.
- To avoid missing the emails, check your junk or spam folder.
- Look for an invitation from an email address that ends in “@cic.gc.ca.”
If you or your representative did not give an email address,
- you can give one by using the Webform, or
- you will be called .
Requirements for Canada citizenship test
- a piece of identification (ID), like
- your permanent resident card (even if it’s expired), or
- a valid (not expired) ID with your photo and signature on it (for example, driver’s licence or health card)
- your application number and unique client identifier (UCI)
- You can find them in your test invitation.
- a valid email address
- a reliable Internet connection
- a desktop computer, laptop or tablet with a webcam
- a Chrome or Safari Web browser
- to close all other applications on your device
- This includes applications that use your webcam or allow screen-sharing.
- to take the test by yourself
- to be in a quiet room with good lighting so the system can see you clearly through the webcam
Do not use the following to take the test:
- a mobile phone
- Chrome on an iPad
- Microsoft Surface Pro
- a virtual private network (VPN)
Start the Canada citizenship test
When you’re ready to take the test, sign in with your
- application number, and
- unique client identifier (UCI) or client ID
- START YOUR CANADA CITIZEN TEST BY SIGNING IN